3/06/2011

looking forward to Lent

i'm trying to think back to past Lents, but i can't really remember much now.

i think Lent is always a good time to start new habits - i always like to take something on, in addition to giving something up. i'm not really sure if there is sound theology behind that. i guess Lent to me has been about being something better than the current version of me. it's also about making small sacrifices, so that we can have some semblance of what it feels like to give up comforts... and nowhere-closely approximate the comforts Jesus Christ gave up for us.

this year, i've been slightly unhappy with how i am doing in my life and i'm looking to Lent as a time when i take on new habits and shed old ones, so that i can be more like the person i feel God has called me to be. i'm hoping that good habits i pick up during this season of refining and sharpening will help me grow in mind, body and soul.
  1. Giving up meat - this is usually what i give up for Lent.
  2. Getting off electronics (computer, TV, etc) by 11:00pm. I'm going to use this time to do other things - catch up on reading for fun, journal more, spend more time reading the Bible. basically, i just want to be more than a person in front bright rectangular boxes.
  3. Giving up multi-tasking. This is going to be EXTREMELY difficult for me. But I'm going to use this opportunity to be more fully present in what I am doing. Being focused on a million things at the same time is not a good thing. It makes me think that I'm being so awesome and efficient because I am getting so many things done, but really all I am doing is giving less of myself to a whole lot of different things.
I'm hoping Lent will be the beginning of a great transformation and a new phase in life. I feel like I've been so stuck in a rut recently that maybe being intentional about new habits that are GOOD for me will be the new jumpstart I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment