Yep. I did.
I'll probably need to say it a few more times before it will be real or something. It seems so long ago that I was struggling to run for 2 minutes straight. Today, I ran 3.1 miles in 36 minutes. I know that's not spectacular by athletic standards, but I'm pretty proud of that.
There's something about working toward a goal that seems impossible at the moment that you set it. It's scary and exciting at the same time. Mostly scary. Scary because you are keenly aware of how much you can fail. Exciting because you know how changed you will be when you have actually attained it.
As I try to reflect upon my lessons learned from this experience, the glaring one is that I can really do anything I set out to do. Another glaring one - and perhaps more important to me - is that goals are so much more fun when you're working towards one with a friend. I could not have done this without my friend Ash. Even though we lived in different states, we were able to train together through the wonder of modern technology. We held each other accountable to a running schedule, encouraged each other when running was NOT FUN AT ALL, and in the end, we were able to celebrate together when we crossed the finish line.
What a great experience life could be if we just resolved to journey together.
No comments:
Post a Comment