I recently celebrated a birthday, and whenever I do, I make it a point to do some reflecting on my life. because let's face it, some of us never spend enough time in reflection. or when we do, sometimes it's a superficial kind of reflection - maybe for an audience (like blog readers) or something. but since pretty much no one reads this blog and I think superficiality is lame, I am going to try to make this reflection as authentic as I can.
I honestly believe that I have led a very blessed life.
let's start with the basics: I am healthy and able-bodied. I have a roof over my head that I am not in any immediate danger of losing. I have a job that I am not in any immediate danger of losing. I never worry about going hungry. that right there puts me in a better position that so many people around the world. sometimes we need to acknowledge these simple things lest we forget how much of a blessing they truly are and we start being greedy and wanting more. because there is danger in feeling like the world owes us more than that, that we deserve more than that.
but I do get more than that every day, for which I am very thankful.
I have a job that gives my life meaning. and even when there are days in which it is a struggle to get out of bed and get myself to work, I can still rest in the knowledge that my labor is changing the world and saving people's lives somehow. one day, we are going to stop telling people that they made a mistake so big that they are beyond redemption, and thus we must take their lives from them. one day, our criminal justice system is going to actually be restorative instead of vengeful. and I am going to know I played even the smallest part in that because of the work I am doing now. what a blessing.
I have the greatest friends. two of the most meaningful experiences that happened in relation to my birthday reminded me of this. I spent the day of my birthday in Philadelphia, with a dear friend who traveled two hours (!) just to celebrate my birthday with me. we didn't do anything spectacular, and yet just the opportunity to catch up and be in the love and company of a good friend - a best friend - made the day very special. the other experience was a phone call from the person whom I consider my closest friend from college. it's been five years since graduation, our lives have taken us in different directions, hundreds of miles away. but he remembered my birthday, and he called, and we caught up, and talked about life. and how much we've grown up. and how much things have changed. and how much things haven't changed. and it was great to know that years and miles and significant life changes can't undo strong bonds of friendship. these two experiences helped remind me that I have made friends whom I will have for life. what a blessing.
I'm lucky enough to be dating my best friend. I'm not really sure what else to say about this that won't sound vomitous or just plain sappy (and I hate being sappy). I'm also not sure what to say because sometimes there are just no words. I'll just say, my life is so much better and more interesting, and the normal things I do (like go to the groceries or wash dishes) is so much more fun because I get to do it all with my best friend. and the fact that I love him and he loves me is just the icing on the cake. what a blessing.
of course, there are many other blessings in my life beyond these three I have mentioned. I am part of an amazing worshipping community and it is a weekly privilege to spend time with the youth of that community. I look forward to every weekend because it starts off with friday nights at youth group and ends with sunday worship with such a diverse community. I also have a great community of friends here in DC, a great roommate, etc. overall, life is pretty good.
what a blessing.
No comments:
Post a Comment