[okay, so i haven't written here in a while. but since i made it one of my goals to write at least once a week, you're getting a bad post. sorry. i don't really have exciting things going on in my life right now (i think i'm in some end-of-winter doldrums). i promise to try to do some more exciting things in my life soon, so that the two of you who actually read this blog will not be subjected to similarly dull posts in the future.]
I am now about halfway through my Lenten disciplines, and I realize that there are things I'm re-learning about myself in this process:
- I have a short attention span. seriously. I'm never interested in anything long enough for me to get good at anything. for example, when I was younger, I took almost exactly one year's worth of lessons in piano, ballet, jazz, singing (and many other things i don't remember) before getting bored and moving on. this is also a reason why I haven't written about the next jewish ritual in lauren winner's mudhouse sabbath. I know, I know. I promised an entry about it every week, but somewhere in the middle of the chapter about mourning, I sort of lost interest. sorry, lauren. the other reason is the next point i'm about to make -
- I have no follow through. this goes hand in hand with getting bored easily and having no attention span. once something else captures my attention, there is almost no turning back. I suddenly forget about all the other stuff I said I wanted to accomplish before my attention was diverted elsewhere.
- I am utterly useless when I am insufficiently inspired. I've been a total slacker at work these last few days simply because nothing I'm doing right now is getting me excited. and I've learned that there is no way for me to make myself efficient, or even productive, when I am uninspired. I just have to suffer through the totally uninteresting tasks on my to-do list until I get to a task that I like better. If you were living in my head during these times, you would know how agonizing of an experience this is.
- I cannot live without dairy. I am vegan for Lent, and you'd think the hardest thing about this is not being to eat meat. NOPE. the hardest part about being vegan is not being able to have ice cream. and cheese. and milkshakes. and pizza. and now i'm going to stop listing foods i can't have.
and finally, on a totally unrelated note, I just finished re-reading the Hunger Games trilogy in preparation for the first movie coming out in a few weeks. my kids are totally reading these books one day. i love the message of economic injustice and poverty as a tool for oppression and control. thank you, suzanne collins, for writing a young adult novel that isn't just about a female character moping around about who her boyfriend should be.
and now i'm done. told you this one was going to be bad.
No comments:
Post a Comment